AgriLife Extension Entomology
We are located throughout the State and can provide advice on control of urban, structural, landscape, garden, veterinary and agricultural pests, and pests that are threats to human health. Our information is backed by science and research at Texas A&M and other universities and is made practical and relevant by Extension Entomologists, educators or agents who work in each county, right where you live.
What Are Our Extension Entomologists Saying?
- Auxin Training OnlineSource: Mid-Coast IPMPublished on 2020-03-28By Stephen Biles3 hours ago
- Essential Worker Travel FormHowdy everybody, I've provided a link for the essential worker travel form for those of you in cities or counties with shelter in place restrictions. This website will have updated versions of this form if it changes. The Texas Department of Agriculture posted this form on their website here: https://www.texasagriculture.gov/NewsEvents/COVID19CoronavirusResponsePage.aspx The current form can be [...] read moreSource: Upper Coast IPMPublished on 2020-03-27By Kate Crumley24 hours ago
- Disinfectants are pesticides so use safely!What do “pest control” and public health campaigns against SARS Cov-2 have in common? Both activities use pesticides. In the eyes of the law, sanitizer and disinfectant products are considered pesticides. And if you’re a little wary of using pesticides, you should exercise the same caution when choosing and using a disinfectant. Let’s start with some basics. The term ‘pesticide’ [...] read moreSource: Merchant-AllPublished on 2020-03-27By mike.merchant24 hours ago
- Forest Tent CaterpillarsHowdy! Our office has been getting a lot of calls lately on caterpillars. Most of these are forest tent caterpillars. These caterpillars attack a wide array of tree and shrub species, and are medically harmless even though they're fuzzy. Most trees can handle the loss of up to 20% of their foliage without harm, and many can re-leaf even [...] read moreSource: Upper Coast IPMPublished on 2020-03-24By Kate Crumley4 days ago
- Master Gardener Entomology Training – IPM V2The PDF presentation slide set provided in this post are an updated version of the IPM section of the master gardener entomology training. All other components stayed as the original and can be found here. The updated slide set contains additional information about insect trapping and pesticide toxicity. 1_IPM 2_IPM 3_IPM 4_IPM [...] read moreSource: Vafaie-AllPublished on 2020-03-02By Erfan Vafaie4 weeks ago
- A prickly situationPrickly pear cactus has its detractors. Long hated for its long spines with a bite, and its clusters of barbed spines (glochids) that are heck to remove, it has been cursed, hacked, burned and sprayed. But prickly pear (Opuntia spp.) is also used by a variety of wildlife and cattle, and is prized as a part of the Mexican-American diet. [...] read moreSource: Merchant-AllPublished on 2020-02-26By mike.merchant1 month ago
- Three Question SurveyThe following questions will help direct the activities of the Mid Coast IPM Program. 2020 IPM Program Grower Value indicator What value does the Mid-Coast IPM Program add to your Farm? ($/Acre)*How many acres do you farm?*What issues should we investigate on farms in the Mid Coast of Texas? [...] read moreSource: Mid-Coast IPMPublished on 2020-02-24By Stephen Biles1 month ago
- Auxin Training – Feb 12The Calhoun County AgriLife Extension Service will hold a 1hour training Date: Wednesday February 12, 2020 Time: 8:30 am Cost: $10 Location: Calhoun County Extension Office – Auditorium 186 Henry Barber Way Port Lavaca, TX 77979 For questions call 361-552-9747 [...] read moreSource: Mid-Coast IPMPublished on 2020-02-07By Stephen Biles2 months ago
- Victoria County CEU Day – January 30Thursday, January 30, 2020 Victoria Educational Gardens Pavilion 283 Bachelor Drive (Victoria Reg. Airport) 5 CEUs (1-Integrated Pest Management, 1-Laws & Regulations, 3 General) Registration—7AM Program—7:30AM $40 Registration Fee (includes lunch & training)—Paid at the Door * RSVP by January 27th REQUIRED More Information HERE POSSIBLE MANDATORY AUXIN TRAINING AFTERWARD [...] read moreSource: Mid-Coast IPMPublished on 2020-01-24By Stephen Biles2 months ago