AgriLife Extension Entomology
We are located throughout the State and can provide advice on control of urban, structural, landscape, garden, veterinary and agricultural pests, and pests that are threats to human health. Our information is backed by science and research at Texas A&M and other universities and is made practical and relevant by Extension Entomologists, educators or agents who work in each county, right where you live.
What Are Our Extension Entomologists Saying?
- Third Time is a Charm! Native Bee Program LOCATION!Apologies for any emails that went out to those subscribed to this blog. The location for the Native Bees Presentation on October 20th (see post below) will be located at:Kendall County Courthouse3rd floor in the commissioner’s court room201 E. San Antonio Ave, Boerne, Tx10am var gaJsHost = (("https:" == document.location.protocol) ? "https://ssl." : "http://www."); document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='" + gaJsHost + "google-analytics.com/ga.js' [...] read more3 days ago
- Time to Test the Soil for NutrientsFertilizer cost has been rising over the past year creating more need to test the soil in your fields for nutrient content and fertilizer recommendations. Since 2013, we have sampled fields and found soil nitrogen levels ranging between 11 and 168 lbs N per acre. This can be a opportunity to reducing costs without affecting yields. On average, fields can [...] read more4 days ago
- Native Bee Program – October 20, 2021 in BoerneDid you know that honey bees are not native to the Americas? Before they were introduced, our native plants relied on native bees and other pollinators to help them out! Learn all about native bees, where they live, what they like to nest in, how to recognize them, and how to encourage them.If you can't be a beekeeper, you can [...] read more5 days ago
- SPN: A Bird’s Eye View of Integrated Pest Management ComplianceThis article was first published by TASB Risk Management Fund on February 23, 2021 by Campbell Gill. I am using this as a way for you to take time to review your IPM program and see what needs to be updated at your district. Controlling the pest population at your school district or community college isn’t as simple as [...] read more3 weeks ago
- Green June Bugs On the HorizonThis weekend, I spotted my first mating swarm of Green June Bugs and it is about that time of year when these guys stump outdoor lovers with their loud flying and buzzing close to the ground.Sometimes people think they are bumblebees or wasps because of the buzzing sound their wings produce. In flight, they do somewhat appear to be bumblebee [...] read more4 weeks ago
- 30 Bugs Every Gardener Should Know30 Bugs Every Gardener Should KnowJoin me at the San Antonio Botanical Garden for a program hosted by SAWS! I'll be covering the top 30 insects and relatives I think you'll be encountering this late summer/early fall. The good, the bad, and the ones that are "just there". We look at some preserved specimens (so much better than just looking at [...] read more1 month ago
- Harvest and DefoliationHowdy,We are harvesting cotton, and I am happy to see module trucks rolling and gins running.The 6 and 11 days after treatment (DAT) ratings for the cotton harvest aid study for Wharton, Texas are below. The initial treatment was made on August 20, and the second on September 2, 2021. The cotton harvest aid study for this site was conducted on [...] read more1 month ago
- Cotton Harvest Aid Trial and DefoliationHowdy,I've included the 6 days after treatment (DAT) ratings for the cotton harvest aid study that was treated on August 20, 2021 in Wharton, Texas. Ratings for 6 DAT were taken on August 26, 2021, prior to the second treatment. Ratings were taken again 11 days after the initial treatment, I will add those as soon as results are available. The [...] read more1 month ago
- Harvest Aid TestA cotton Defoliation Demo was sprayed last Monday (8/23) with a second application made Today (8/30). The demo is located in Victoria County on Kainer Rd. Just north of Raven Rd. Drop by and take a look when you get the chance. Treatments are as follows: [...] read more2 months ago
- 6 DAT 2021 Cotton Harvest Aid Trial ResultsSpraying the 2021 Defoliation TestKate CrumleyHowdy,I've included the 6 days after treatment (DAT) ratings for the cotton harvest aid study that was treated on August 20, 2021 in Wharton, Texas. Ratings for 6 DAT were taken on August 26, 2021, prior to the second treatment. Ratings will be taken again at 12 days after the initial treatment. The cotton harvest [...] read more2 months ago