AgriLife Extension Entomology
We are located throughout the State and can provide advice on control of urban, structural, landscape, garden, veterinary and agricultural pests, and pests that are threats to human health. Our information is backed by science and research at Texas A&M and other universities and is made practical and relevant by Extension Entomologists, educators or agents who work in each county, right where you live.
What Are Our Extension Entomologists Saying?
- Winter Storm of Texas – what impact did it have on insects?It is only natural after having a very unprecedent storm like Uri that just shut down Texas, to start thinking of what other impacts will we see. As an entomologist, the questions I am receiving are along the lines of "how did or will the storm impact the insects this year?"Since I grew up in Florida and did my schooling [...] read moreSource: Sonja SwigerPublished on 2021-02-241 day ago
- CEU classes for Vector ManagementAs we slowly enter into spring, we start to prepare for the mosquito season that will be here soon. We never know what the season will be like but one thing is for sure, we all need to keep our TDA pesticide licenses up-to-date and receive our yearly CEUs.As a non-commercial political subdivision license holder (apply pesticides for your job), [...] read moreSource: Sonja SwigerPublished on 2021-02-223 days ago
- Dr. Samuel VezeneghoDr. Samuel Vezenegho is has been added as an invaluable member of the SixLegged Aggie Team. He earned his PhD in Medical Entomology and a Master of Science with distinction in Molecular Cell Biology, from the University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa. During this time, he focused on the systematics and insecticide resistance mechanisms in African malaria mosquito vectors. Dr. [...] read moreSource: Vafaie-AllPublished on 2021-02-18By Erfan Vafaie7 days ago
- Dr. Samuel VezeneghoDr. Samuel Vezenegho is has been added as an invaluable member of the SixLegged Aggie Team. He earned his PhD in Medical Entomology and a Master of Science with distinction in Molecular Cell Biology, from the University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa. During this time, he focused on the systematics and insecticide resistance mechanisms in African malaria mosquito vectors. Dr. [...] read moreSource: Vafaie-MosquitoPublished on 2021-02-18By Erfan Vafaie7 days ago
- SPN: Pesticide Awareness Month: Read the labelRemember to read the label, washing hands after use should be exercised by anyone using these products without gloves. You probably wouldn’t buy an unfamiliar food product without looking at the label or take a new prescription without reading the instructions and warnings first. The same care should be exercised [...] read moreSource: School IPMPublished on 2021-02-15By janet.hurley1 week ago
- Persistent, Friendly Nematodes Control Corn Rootworm in Texas and New Mexico: February 18th PresentationTexas A&M Extension Entomology has been conducting a joint research project with Dr. Elson Shields from Cornell University for the last four years. We have shown that persistent, insect-killing nematodes (that are harmless to plants) have the ability to lower corn root damage whether the crop is Bt or non-Bt. And these nematodes persist for many years and just keep [...] read moreSource: FOCUS on Entomology West TexasPublished on 2021-02-023 weeks ago
- SPN: How do I get a pesticide license in Texas?To be licensed or not to be licensed? Although having a pesticide applicator license is not required for IPM Coordinators in Texas, it’s an option that many are choosing. Licensing is a decision that must be based on your own circumstances. This article is designed to help you understand the issues involved. A certified applicator (CA) is licensed by [...] read moreSource: School IPMPublished on 2021-01-29By janet.hurley4 weeks ago
- Upcoming Extension Crop Production MeetingsTexas A&M AgriLife Extension Service will hold several meeting in the coming days to provide information on the latest developments in crop production and CEUs for pesticide applicator licenses. Most of these meetings will be online and will require registration prior to the meeting. Tuesday, January 26 – 8 am to 2 pm Upper Gulf Coast Feed Grain & Cotton [...] read moreSource: Mid-Coast IPMPublished on 2021-01-25By Stephen Biles1 month ago
- Join the Bug Club!No matter where you are in the state (or world), you can join the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Bug Club! We are meeting virtually, once a week, March through May.Fall was our first Bug Club series, and back by popular demand, we have developed a Spring series! Bug Club is an opportunity for youth interested in entomology and insects to learn [...] read moreSource: Molly KeckPublished on 2021-01-21By Molly Keck1 month ago
- Auxin Training – January 20, 2021If you plan to apply Engenia, Extendimax, Tavium, and/or Enlist One/Enlist Duo in 2021, you must attend an auxin training. The Calhoun County AgriLife Extension Service will hold a 1hour training Date: Wednesday, January 20, 2021 Time: 9:00 am Cost: $10 Location: Calhoun County Extension Office Auditorium 186 Henry Barber Way Port Lavaca, TX 77979 For questions call 361-552-9747 [...] read moreSource: Mid-Coast IPMPublished on 2021-01-14By Stephen Biles1 month ago
- UPPER GULF COAST VIRTUAL FEED GRAIN & COTTON CONFERENCEJanuary 26, 2021 8 am – 2 pm REGISTRATION IS FREE. All attendees are required to register through EventBrite. Registration will not be held the day of the event. The 2021 Upper Gulf Coast Feed Grain & Cotton Conference will offer growers and others the opportunity to hear presentations from the top Extension and Research scientists from Texas as well [...] read moreSource: Mid-Coast IPMPublished on 2021-01-13By Stephen Biles1 month ago
- Victoria CEU Virtual SeminarThursday, January 28, 2021 Program begins at 8:00AM Cost: $40 Registration Fee 5 CEUs (2-General, 2-Laws & Regs, 1-Integrated Pest Management) For Texas Department of Agriculture Private, Commercial, and Non-Commercial Licensed Pesticide Applicators Registration online only at: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/victoria-ceu-virtual-seminar-tickets-128551784849 AUXIN TRAINING AFTERWARD Flyer for Victoria CEU Virtual Seminar For more information call: Victoria County Extension Office – [...] read moreSource: Mid-Coast IPMPublished on 2021-01-12By Stephen Biles1 month ago